Sunday, March 3, 2013

Shop your closet - the Gucci loafer



To celebrate their 60th anniversary, Gucci has re-released the classic loafer which was born in 1953.

Of course, the colours & leathers & soles may differ, but the essence of the shoe will be the same.

So I went through my shoe room & pulled these two babies out from the back of the room to the front - a red suede pair & a green leather pair with a rubber sole.

I had bought these two in 1995 at a warehouse sale - they were part of the AW 1992 collection & I even have a copy of US Glamour magazine where the red ones were featured in editorial. back then, it was a big deal for me to have my stuff featured in a magazine.....

The sale was the first big name warehouse I had ever been to - it was at Sydney Town Hall & I queued up for 2 hours along George St to get in, on a weekday. Yes I was late for work but I had arranged a half day annual leave. The sale was bedlam.

Back then had no idea how to navigate a sale and no idea what to expect. Its a wonder I managed to get these - in my size & in colours I actually wear.

I also snared a rasberry red fitted sweater in 100% wool, which I have never worn (too fitted for my easy style) & am finally looking to re-sell.  

Now that Gucci is re-releasing the loafer, these will get some extra wear.

Which brings me to the moral of the post:

1. Yes, things do come back in style.

2. But they rarely come back exactly the same - most of the time they are worn in a different way & if you wear them the same way you will look dated.

3. It is more likely that accessories will come back in vogue closer to the original form. It is more likely that clothes will need to tweaking so they dont look dated.

4. Just because something is classic, doesnt mean its doesn't date. Your suits of the 80s and 90s dont look smart in the noughties. Your jeans in the 70s, 80s and 90s will look dated now. While classics are less likely to date than trend items, you need to assess every single piece every season. 

5. Now more than ever, something very distinctive from yester-year may work today due to the proliferation of trends & the street looks that filter upwards into collections. But again, each piece needs to be assessed every season before you decide its suitable.

6. If you want the retro look - by all means go for the dated stuff.  






No comments:

Post a Comment