Sunday, June 30, 2013

What I Wore: Lose weight by wearing a x body bag


Another cold day of errands. Seems to be the norm these days in Sydney.

The jacket





A black Rena Lange wool knit that a paid in the serious four figures and which I have worn to death. And you'd never know it, its made so well.

About a year or so ago, I found the same item, my size on ebay for $80, from my favourite seller, Linda's Stuff. So I bought a back up. 

STYLE TIP: If you have an item of clothing or an accessory which is a workhorse, if you can buy a back-up. I cant recommend this enough. Especially if you realise the item is amazing & by that time it has gone on sale. 

Single breasted, ruffle all along the front. It buttons on the under edge of the ruffle, so the ruffle stands upwards so it isnt interfered with by the button holes. Very pretty & practical. 



The fabric is a wool in a double knit, which looks and acts like a woven but has the comfort of a knit. 




The top


Simple & easy Bonds black tee which peeks out from under the jacket by a few cm. Since the jacket is fitted, the tee hem also forms a kind of ruffle. 

This is the tee which now has multiple small holes around the belly due to friction with then jeans - need to repair her. 

The scarf




I cant stress enough how important a mens style winter scarf is in a womans closet. In a solid neutral its invaluable. My neutrals are in black, navy & chocolate. I also have a few n colour pops, but the neutrals get worn far more often. 

What makes them men's style?
The width (not wide like a wrap), the sedate fringing on the ends, the length (around your neck both ends hang at approx belly level).

This one is a Jil Sander which came from David Jones in 100% cashmere. Its years & years old. Pretty sure I paid $300 for it, which in today's terms for a cashmere scarf is a steal. Plus it is going in the coffin with me. Definitely a steal.

If you are petite, look for these in a slightly smaller scale, say 20-25 cm wide rather than 25-30 cm wide & make sure the ends dont hang below the belly.

The jeans



OK, OK, the same ol' Not Your Daughters Jeans
I love these babies so much I am noticing the fabric is thinning here & there (knees, buttocks). Maybe that means a few rips, increasing their cool factor? Let's wait & see. 

The bag




I didnt leave the house with this bag. It followed me home from the shops. Italian brand Pelletteria Veneta, stocked at Warwick Dawson stores on the north side of Sydney.

They also sell on line...http://www.pelletteriaveneta.it/ap_en/index.php

Love the red suede inside finish against the orange. 





STYLE TIP: When I wear the bag cross body over an all black base (including the black scarf which fell vertically), the diagonal line of the strap will create a distinct vertical eye movement. Think slimming. Pop. I had to have it. 

For best slim, make sure:

The bag sits on your hip & no lower or higher.
The strap is ideally 1-2 cm, anything thicker adds "weight".
The bag isnt much larger than two of your hand spans.
The bag isnt thicker than 2 cm & preferably 1-2 cm.

Note to self: When I adjusted the bag's strap to the longest setting, I noticed a couple of kinks where there metal buckle used to sit. I need to place that section under some heavy books to flatten it out. 


The scarf isnt in this photo - I really need to get a better photographer, eh? 
There is a slight problem in that I carry the kitchen sink in my bag & always have. This is lucky to fit a phone. No regrets, but I am sure my cost per wear system will be regretting it big time. 

The bangle


Bottega Veneta, from ebay

Jewellery



A short silver chain with little balls on its chain.
A longer double circle antique sterling chain from Zambesi in Paddington (I turned up at the crack of dawn on the first day of a warehouse sale), to pick this up for $100. 

SHOP TIP: If you like avant garde shopping, Zambesi is the place to go.

The shoes


Bruno Magli pumps from the David Jones Warehouse about 10 years ago. I wouldnt have paid more than $120 for these and the RRP back then would have been $500. You'd think I would have cleaned up the dust between the gold metal bars...oops.

These shoes are a classic pump, nothing uber fashionable, just classic.






No comments:

Post a Comment